Halloween Reading Comprehension Passages with Mystery Pictures, provided in both DIGITAL and PRINT formats, are designed to engage students in analyzing text using close reading comprehension strategies. This resource motivates students to persevere through the multi-draft reading process with the use of the mystery grid picture, making it a fun activity that students will ask for again and again!
★ Get this as part of the All Access Reading Comprehension Passages with Mystery Pictures!
These texts are at , so all students will be appropriately challenged! As they complete the close reading process, students will build comprehension by answering text-dependent questions. Here’s the fun part: their answers to the questions will help them “decode” and color the corresponding Halloween themed mystery grid picture!
Graphic organizers and writing prompts are also included to enhance reading comprehension and can be used as you see fit! Want to see for yourself? Check out the fun free passage in my Freebie Library to see how the text levels and questions can work for your classroom!
This activity is perfect for training students to read a text multiple times in order to truly understand it. By reading a text more than once, annotating it, and answering questions, students will learn to find and analyze:
- Author’s purpose
- Text structure
- Text-based evidence
- Central ideas
- Teacher Pages: explaining the different parts of the resource and how to use it in the classroom
- Digital Copies: of the student pages for assigning via Google Slides or Powerpoint + instructions
- 3 Different Texts: passages that are differentiated into three different reading levels. 1 fiction and 2 nonfiction texts
- 10 Text-Dependent Questions: corresponding to each passage (Option to use with or without the mystery grid)
- 3 Mystery Grid Pictures: one for each passage, corresponding to the text-dependent questions
- 3 Writing Prompts: one for each passage
- Audio Files: audio for every passage included in digital versions and available for download
- Graphic Organizers: as an option to use with any of the texts
- Student Printables: close reading/annotating tip sheets to print for the students to keep/use during the process. Perfect for notebooks!
❶ “Samhain” a fiction passage about a Celtic boy that is celebrating with his family the holiday where Halloween originated
❷ “Halloween Around the World” an informational passage about how Halloween and other similar holidays are celebrated all over the world
❸ “History of Halloween” an informational passage about where the holiday of Halloween came from and what has made it what it is today
Use these high-interest texts to practice close reading strategies, answering text-dependent questions, vocabulary, and responding to text in writing.
- Whole group
- Small groups
- Learning centers/stations
- Sub Plans
- Test Prep
- Room Transformations
Find out more on how to use them in the classroom:
- 9 Ways to Incorporate Close Reads Into Your Classroom
- 6 Ways to Make Close Reading More Engaging
- 12 Months of Close Reading
This item is a paid digital download from Fun in 5th Grade & MORE
As such, it is for use in one classroom only. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet is strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Please purchase one license for each teacher using these resources. If you would like to contact me about pricing on a license for an ENTIRE school, county, or district, please email me at [email protected]
If you would like to contact me about pricing on a license for an ENTIRE school, county, or district, please email me at [email protected]